Friday, February 18, 2011

I Didn't Know I was Pregnant!


I have a confession to make... I can't stop watching "I Didn't Know I was Pregnant". I mean, come on, really? You had no idea you were pregnant? 


Now, I know some of you are intellectuals who are resolved to spend every waking moment doing something meaningful with your time, like reading A World Without Poverty, discovering world cuisines, or volunteering in at-risk communities, and would never waste your time on 'reality' dribble. TLC's "I Didn't Know I was Pregnant" is exactly what it sounds like. Women tell their stories of how they carried a baby full-term, and never knew they were preggo until they went into labor, some recall still not realizing it until the baby's head crowned. Apparently this show has been airing for quite some time (I just joined the circus about a month ago). Crazy, I know. 


Maybe most pregnancy symptoms can be explained away, maybe the morning sickness was from eating street meat everyday for 10 weeks, the baby kicking was indigestion, the swollen ankles were from those Beyonce freak'um heels you insisted on wearing 36-40 Saturday nights in a row... I guess it's possible. My only question is how does someone rationalize the big growth in the abdomen area? I mean even if you don't become HUGE, you're still going to put on something solid in order to bring a full-term newborn (7-10 pounders even!) into the world.


Now, I don't mean to sound judgmental. Truth be told, I've never been pregnant, so I really can't stand as an authority figure on this phenomenon, and to be completely honest, if I were to become pregnant at this point in life, I'd probably go for a long trip down that river in Egypt. But, that is exactly what it is, right? Denial? 


Whether these women really are ignorant to a human growing in their bellies or if it's just because a plead of ignorance is a better excuse than an admission of being terrified and unable to face the facts, the show is the train I can't stop watching. 

No comments:

Post a Comment